Dehydrated Lemons

Hey, Everybody!
 
I bought a food dehydrator a couple weeks back and have been experimenting with different kinds of veggies to make some nice, healthy snacks.  First, I did cucumbers.  Two cucumbers was perfect.  I washed them good and sliced them up thin (about an 1/8th or so) and soaked them in vinegar for about an hour or so while I went and did my exercising at Curves.  My dehydrator has 4 trays so everything fit on them nice.  I sprinkled them with dried dill and garlic powder, but I forgot to salt them too.  After all was said and done (8 hours seemed just right), they were nice and tangy but really needed the salt too.  Next time, I'm going to do the cucumbers with malt vinegar and sea salt.  Mmmmm....
 
Next, I did green zucchini.  I soaked these in vinegar too, sprinkled salt,  garlic powder on them.  I took them off at 5 hours, not as much moisture in them I guess.  Tasty snacks, but needed more salt.  Eggplant was next on the list to try.  I had had eggplant roasted in the oven before and it was horrible.  Just couldn't get around the spongy texture.  But, I decided to give it another chance and put it in the dehydrator.  Salt, garlic powder and paprika and off they went for 8 hours.  Not bad at all.  Still needed more seasoning and they were good with some ranch dressing to dip them in.  Note to self:  Don't be shy with the seasoning.  Load them up with flavor!  So, that's what I did with my last zucchini batch; salt, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.  Darn good for sure!
 
Next, I dehydrated lemons.  The house smelled so nice and fresh all day long.  They dried up perfect and crunchy, and super tangy with all that nice condensed flavor in them.  Afterward I put them in the food processor and pulverized them to little bits.  I had some small, half pint canning jars in the back, so I put my lovely lemonness in one of them and thought the jar looked a little naked.  I opened up my Silhouette program and found some cute designs to use for a print and cut to make a label for the top of the jar and a cute lemon tag to match.  I even made some for the limes and oranges I have dehydrating now.  These will be a perfect addition to my pantry.  Now, when I need a sprinkle of lemon or lime or orange for pasta or salad dressings, a teaspoon of the dried stuff will be perfect and loaded with flavor.  Love it!
 




These would make a nice gift for someone too!
 
Stay crafty, my Friends!

Comments

Popular Posts