Kumihimo Friendship Bracelets

I am a learning addict.  I admit it.  I love to learn new things because there is so much cool stuff out there to learn.  Especially crafts and computer programs.  If it is to be knitted, crocheted, cut, glued, assembled, sewn, glittered, or put on a chain, I am meant to make it.  I have the full versions of Photoshop and Illustrator and have learned a ton on how to use them and there is still more to learn of them.  I have at least 5 physical projects on the go at any given time and at least another 5 swimming in my brain.  I have to limit my perusal of Pinterest, otherwise it's craft overload.
 
My latest addiction is Kumihimo.  This is Japanese braiding using a slotted disc.  This technique makes absolutely beautiful friendship bracelets with just cording and also beads can be added to make the jewelry even more stunning.  It looks intimidating at first, but once you get going, the possibilities are endless.  I came across this most useful of resources -- a Kumihimo Pattern Generator.  Jackpot!  You put in your colors and tweek the pattern to what you would like and it will tell you how many cords you need, where to put them and in once sequence to move them to make the pattern.  Glorious!  Here's the link if you are interested:  http://craftdesignonline.com/kumihimo/kongoh-gumi-friendship-bracelets/
 
Needless to say, I started off simple with a nice pattern that (to me anyway) looked like argyle.  Well, not really, but close enough.  I ordered a kit with everything in it that I needed and then some, and got my Kumihimo on while watching TV in the evening.  Before I knew it, I had created these beautiful friendship bracelets.  I may have to open up a store on Etsy. 
 
Anyway, I hope you like them and I hope you find your inner Kumihimo!
 



 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts